Carpet Flooring: Types, Pros, Cons and Cost
The primary benefit of having a carpet as a flooring material is its ability to offer a comfy, warm surface underfoot. A carpet’s two essential aspects are the fiber used and the pile. Pile refers to how fiber loops are knit to the carpet backing. These are the significant factors that determine the look and feel.
These standard flooring carpets are classified according to the fiber and pile used.
Nylon has a history of durability and low maintenance. Statistics indicate it is the most popular carpet fiber, with over two-thirds of carpets made of this fiber. The material comes in various textures, styles, and color schemes, so you can always find a nylon carpet for every space in your room.
- Resistant to stains and abrasion
- Resistant to mold, tear, and rot
- You can easily dye these carpets, and they hold the color for long
- More cost-effective than wool
- Nylon carpets guarantee longevity as they can last up to 15 years
- When compared with other synthetic carpets, nylon carpets are quite costly
- Nylon carpets can produce static electricity
Cost: on average, you’ll pay $5 to $8 per square foot for a nylon carpet.
This is another crucial point of carpet fiber you’ll encounter in residential and commercial settings. Polypropylene is commonly referred to as olefin and is similar to natural wool. For this reason, it is often used as a substitute for the synthetic thread.
- Polypropylene carpets are stain-resistant
- Easy to clean
- Can be bleached
- Less costly than nylon carpets
- susceptible to soiling and trapping oils which resultantly collect dirt
- more expensive than acrylic and polyester carpets
Cost: Olefin carpets cost between $1 to $3.50 per square foot.
Polyester is famous for its capacity to hold vibrant colors. The fiber is manufactured and, therefore, more hypoallergenic than the other options. One type of polyester carpet called PET is made from recycled plastic bottles, making it eco-friendly.
- resistant to wear and tear
- Polyester is impermeable
- Polyester carpets are easily flattened and are therefore only suitable for areas with low traffic, such as guest rooms.
- Polyester stains and absorbs oil, so extra maintenance is required
Cost: Polyester carpets cost around $1 to $5 per square foot.
Natural fiber with a soft and luxurious feel. These carpets are available in both synthetic and natural options. Some manufacturers blend natural and synthetic fibers to create a rug with more longevity and stain resistance at a better price.
Wool is available in various grades. Lower-grade wool carpets are more susceptible to stains, and their prices are lower. The reverse is true for higher-grade wool carpets.
- Environmental friendly
- Wool carpets can last up to 50 years when properly maintained
- Because wool contains no chemicals or additives, it is safe for people with allergies
- Wool is susceptible to damage from mildew and mold and, therefore, is not an excellent choice in high-humidity areas.
- High-grade wool is very costly.
- Low-grade wool is prone to accumulating dirt and staining
Cost: The cost of wool carpets is $5 to $26 per square foot
One thing about acrylic carpet is the woolly feel, often sold as synthetic wool. They use acrylic fibers to make acrylic carpets; acrylic carpets are an excellent option for those looking to achieve the look of wool but at a much lower price.
- Resistant to staining, moisture, and fading
- Acrylic is hypoallergenic and, therefore, safe for people with allergies
- Resistant to moths
- Because they aren’t very durable, acrylic carpets should only be used in low-traffic areas.
Cost: Acrylic carpets cost $2.40 to $5 per square foot.
The warm feeling that carpet flooring brings is why people love it. Carpets are available in different fibers, colors, and patterns to suit your needs. As you select thread for your carpet flooring, the key factors to consider are resistance to moisture, longevity, and maintenance costs.
I hope this article makes a difference to you. If you live in Utah and want a free quote for remodeling services, please, click on the link below and complete the form, and we will get back to you!
Have you ever received one of our remodeling services? Please, review us here:
Remote Estimation LLCDecember 10, 2022, 1:42 am REPLY
Dear Writer, i do appericiate your efforts as you composed very nice content on carpet flooring advantages and disadvantages. Thanks for the details.